It’s my girlfriend’s birthday today. You don’t know her, but wish her a happy birthday anyway. She just got a 3DS and has been playing a lot of Theatrhythm. Oh, you wanted something vaguely relevant for this first paragraph? Whatever. Here’s what you might have missed last week here on Games Are Evil.
After last week’s technical debacle, it was nice to have an uneventful recording for a change! The whole squad was back again to blow through news in record time so that Blake and Keri would still have time to play some Halo 4: Spartan Ops. (Priorities, please! — Pete) Of the many things under discussion, the main topics were Microsoft celebrating 10 years of Xbox Live, manufacturing mess-ups aplenty and PlayStation Plus coming to Vita. Listen now!
- TACTICAL TUESDAY: Alex Connolly stumbles over the lip of the Aitken basin, languidly stumbling through low gravity and brandishing a copy of Moonbase Commander.
- SWORDS & ZIPPERS: Pete finally remembers that he promised to write about Shadow Hearts: Covenant and promptly didn’t, so he writes about Shadow Hearts: Covenant to make up for it.
- FREEPLAY: Given the recent news that it is getting a sequel, Pete extolls the virtues of the incredible free RPG Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.
- INSERT COIN: Lucas ponders whether arcades might be able to make a modern-day comeback — and if they even should.
- READ.ME: Pete signs up for the Casual Romance Club and settles down to some virtual dating with its colorful, varied characters.
Song of the Day
Our daily game music feature aims to highlight the best in video game soundtracks from today and yesteryear. Here’s what you missed between Monday and Sunday last week:
- It’s Over (from The Walking Dead)
- Space Jam (from Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden)
- Magical Girl (from Jet Set Radio)
- Fantasy World Dizzy Main Theme
- Casual Romance Club Theme
- Paradox launches “DungeonLand” beta signups
- Element4l is next year’s gorgeous indie platformer
- Johann Sebastian Joust and “Sportsfriends” seek Kickstarter funding
- Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden sequel coming Q4 2013
- Sword of the Stars gets a spinoff roguelike
- Sega confirms mobile/Vita Jet Set Radio release dates
- Latest game music bundle is awesome
- Allister Brimble Kickstarting Amiga remix collection
- Flickr co-founder’s non-violent MMO “Glitch” closing down
- “Furiosity” takes “Curiosity” and remembers to add a game
- Pixel art + sexy lighting = Legend of Dungeon
We hope you’ve been enjoying the new-style Games Are Evil. Be sure to let us know what you think in the comments.